Tuesday, April 8, 2008


I'm standing in the queue at EPCOT for the Herman's Hermits concert - I'm standing there, 1st week of April in tee shirt, shorts and flip flops - Be had taken a walk,
the evening was beautiful with a cool breeze coming across the man made lagoon, an evening that makes you close your eyes and breathe in the smells of ethnic foods being prepared in the vacinity and the aromas of the flowers at the Flower and Garden Festival - when suddenly, I'm interrupted by the sounds of wheezing and hacking around me - I look around and have the startling realization that "Hey! I'm the youngest one in this line!" Way cool.
I saw Herman's Hermits with my sister, Maryann, back in 1967 (mom took us because I didn't have my driver's license back then) and guess who opened for them .... you'll never guess ... The Who !!!! .... we sat there wondering why they were attacking their instruments and setting them on fire and thought "How very odd but cool!" I still have the pictures.
Anyway, the original "Hermits" were now replaced by more trendy instrumentalists - the drummer had many, many, many tattoos and appeared angry that the best gig he could get was playing as a replacement Hermit - the lead guitarist did kicks, 'whirling dirvish' moves and Irish folk dancing as he played lead lines and appeared to have a rather good time - and the other instrumentalists did a fine job as well.
Peter Noone (Herman) worked the audience to the max, posing for pictures while singing, giving out CDs and conversing, soliciting cheers, & orchestrating singing competitions and sing-alongs during the 30 minute set. He's pushing 61 and looks dang good - the show was like an event at the largest pub you can imagine as we sang "Henry VIII", "Mrs Brown", "I'm Into Something Good", "Can't You Hear My Heartbeat?", "Silhouettes", and (my favorite) "There's A Kind of Hush".
We walked away saying "What a fun time!" ....... even though we had seen almost the exact same show in years past.

2 comments:

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

Hermin's Hermits... they are still around???? I liked 1 or 2 of their songs... take care

Paula said...

I LOVED Hermans Hermits when I was a teenager. Henry the 8th I am, I am , I used to play that on my record player over and over again.