Monday, August 3, 2009

O.K. - If You Don't Shoot Me, I'll Eat the Okra.

…… so, you’re out on a day hike in the woods. Mind you, you’re not in the jungle far from civilization. You spot some vegetable like growth on a vine or tree. What are the chances you’ll have the desire to sample something that looks like this …..



Or this ....



Or this ....



Me? No way. I’d be out of my mind! Yet, I’ve actually eaten the delicacy pictured in the last sample. And you know what? It’s okra! I’ve actually eaten okra! Voluntarily! Because I love my wife! She likes okra and I love her so I eat it! Even though I find it totally loathsome! I must be nuts!

Some interesting okra tidbits:

When cut, okra releases a sticky substance with thickening properties.
The same thing happens when you lance a boil.

Grown in tropical and warm temperate climates, it is in the same plant family as hibiscus and cotton. Yes, I do believe I’ve had cotton mouth after eating okra.

Its mild flavor can be compared to eggplant, though the texture is somewhat unusual. Now, there’s an understatement!

Whole, fresh okra pods also make excellent pickles. Don’t come anywhere near me with that!

So, if I happen to be traipsing through the jungle, famished and hallucinatory and I come across some okra, yes, I will eat it. Even raw. But when there’s a choice, it goes right on the list along with calves’ liver, rutabaga, beets and eel. Meanwhile, baby, I’ll cook your okra for you – on the grill outside – right next to my corn on the cob. Love ya.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm with you on the Okra- but Moose loves it-fried (and honestly doesn't everything taste better fried- think twinkies) I won't touch it.

ChrisP said...

You should try to eat okra, it's not bad as what you think. Steam it and add with some chopped tomatoes, best served with grilled fish. It's a healthy veggie

Alyson and Ford said...

I have only eaten okra as part of Jambalaya or is that Shrimp Etouffee? Either way it is a minor veggie in the meal so is tolerable. Not my favorite!!
Enjoy!

Alyzabeth's Mommy for Ten Months

Kristy said...

Oh come on ....I love okra!!!!

Love, Kristy

Gina said...

We LOVE fried okra. Hunter has been eating it since he was 2.