Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Not Bad for 76

When you're alone and life is making you lonely, you can always listen to a Petula Clark recording. A child star in England during the World War II years, Petula achieved a tremendous level of fame in the 1960s with such pop hits as "Downtown," "I Know a Place," and "Don't Sleep in the Subway" ..... and she did as many of her hits as she could cram into her 30 minute set at EPCOT's Flower Power Concert Series. At 76, she was most remarkable in her stage presence and ability to sell songs 40 years old like they were current hits.
Backed up by a 10 piece band (our drummer at church played the concert for her and he said that she is a real kick to hang out with between shows), she gave the players a break when she sat at the piano and sang a smokey jazz lounge version of The Beatles' "I Want To Hold Your Hand". She had a few pitchy things going on during this quiter number, but I gotta remember - she's 76!
Some other songs she included were "My Love", "Who Am I?", "A Sign of the Times" and "This Is My Song". Liked it so much, I stayed for the second show (same songs) as the music brought me back to some good times and resurrected some pleasant memories.

2 comments:

Paula said...

Its amazing what they can do with airbrushing. No really, I hope I look that good at her age.

Alyson and Ford said...

I loved Downtown... In fact, she was one of my favs. I miss the 60's. Well, not all of the 60's and I still have no memory of 1972...

peace
fm