Thursday, February 7, 2008

First Post of Historical Significance

Central Floridians routienly escape to the historic city of St Augustine for a break from the Disney mentality and this past weekend, it was our turn. Having done the Bed & Breakfast thing in the past, we opted to stay on the beach, as the B & Bs are quite pricey on the weekends.
(I've wondered how lumpy beds, uneven floors, tiny toilets & bad plumbing are referred to as 'charming' - of course the breakfasts are great - but you can get The Big Stack @ Denny's for less than 5 bucks - but ..... I digress ....)
The following are some images taken on various trips to our favorite getaway. Hit the hyperlinks (in light blue) for a detail or click on any pic for a larger image.
As we began the 2 hour drive to St Augustine, we spotted a group of White Ibis on a lawn as they pecked away in search of insects. They are generally found in marshy areas and lakes. This picture illustrates the way that civilization has encroached upon another species in our beautiful State.
*************************************
Our particular locale sports tract homes, condos/apartments and gated communities, so when we pedaled through the cobblestone streets of St A, porches, gates, doors and walkways became a focal point for pictures. Although part of the day became overcast, I decided to snap away in spite of the flat image the lighting would produce - they were memories.






















Charlotte Street



Aviles Street - a side street near the village center, St George St

****************************

The pictures below were taken on and around St George Street, the center of commerce for the Old City of St Augustine, Florida.














Kids in the Old City

5 comments:

Kristy said...

I love your new blog and it is a good diversion on this long journey of ours!!! The pictures are great and the only word that comes to mind is "CHARMING"!!!!!! No they really are, I love the porches.

Love, Kristy
waiting for more pics!!! We have kids and don't get to travel much so I will go to these places vicariously thru u!!!!

Dannye said...

sweet photos...and not too bizarre.....yet!! hehe!! love you guys!!

glo said...

OK I like this and I love the way you write so here I am LOL can I still come along with you ?

Since this one isn't all about adoption only and since we all do have hobbies and past times etc. I wanted to invite those Great Folks over here who love and support Don and Be to perhaps pass a little time this Eagle Season watching how Eagles Care for and raise their young. It can be quite the dramatic journey. Have a peak here and if you like what you see, why not subcribe to the FeedBlitz running off the page.


For the Love of Eagles

Sign up is on the left side...be sure to verify your subscription in an email which they immediately send to you.

Paula said...

What a neat old town. I love the old victorian houses. I must go there one day.

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

I LOVE going to St Augustine... when we can. Believe it or not I have not been where I can just 'walk around'... someone has to go with us and therefore I feel SO rushed through the place... that can be annoying...